Friday, August 5, 2011

Angraecum sesquipedale

I got this angraecum from orchid show in April. It came with mealybugs which took a while to be noticed. Plant was brutally wiped with alcohol at the base of each leaf, I had to use thin wooden skewers to get the pests out from tightly growing leaves. That involved some physical damage to new growth too. Nevertheless since then angraecum has grown new leaf and couple fat green roots. I check it regularly in fear of another mealies attack, but so far so good (knock on the wood).
Curious if it is a blooming size and when should I expect the blooms. I know it flowers at christmas time, but would it be this or next christmas?

4 comments:

  1. This species is a notoriously slow grower and can take 10-12 years to reach full blooming size. I'm not sure what size the plant in your photo is, but if it's not full size now then I wouldn't plan on a bloom any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? :( Oh well, I'll just let it grow, the foliage has somewhat pleasant look too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one that is at least twice this size... no blooming yet. Very slow grower too! If you like the look of sesquipedale, some of the smaller angraecoids are much easier to get to blooming size - see http://orchids-on-a-balcony.blogspot.com/search/label/Aerangis :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link. I really liked the look of Aerangis modesta with long spurs. As for sesquipedale, I recently learned that you need to give it cooler temps to induce the blooming. I am going to take it outside this summer and leave it there until it is colder into fall. Maybe it will help.
    I have added Orchids on a Balcony to my Blogroll page. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete