Saturday, October 8, 2011

Look who is spiking

With all the recent new orchids purchases I sort of neglected (I was watering them regularly of course, just didn't check them out every day as before) some of my noId phals that were here among first ones. To get back my attention two of them together decided to send out spikes.
This one from Costco got here around last christmas with two large spikes covered with cheerful yellow blooms.

This is its first re-bloom and the flowers should be here probably around christmas again, so it is in a normal cycle.
Spike close up:


The other is dark pink one, I got it as a mother's day gift last May and it was in bloom through June. Then it grew new leaf and decided to bloom again not waiting for it's proper time - next May:


I am sure that it happened because when we moved here in September I placed them in the basement where now I have quite bright spot for plants too, but temps a bit cooler than those phals used to. Cooler temps trigger spikes.
I should try to put there my phal cornucervi that has old spike forever and doesn't do anything with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment