Monday, November 21, 2011

My vanda "blues"

These two seedlings are start of my blue vandas collection. I plan to buy more blues in the future, for now - just Vanda Pakchong Blue on the left and Vanda Bangkok Blue on the right:



My proven way of growing vanda seedlings - in a plastic vanda basket with a handful of coconut husk chips. For handling covenience - baskets sit in the square plastic pots. I water them once every two-three days.
They are still small and several years from blooming, hopefully by the time they are grown up I will have a greenhouse with lots of room :).
I read somewhere that V.Pakchong Blue can flower even on relatively small plants.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! Soon I wil get one more - V. Gordon Dillon blue:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you ever get your hands on Vanda Blue seedlings? They are almost impossible to find around Southern California because they are endangered and there are strict restriction about their export from native habitats in northern Australia and the far east.

    Take very good care of them as they are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanna,these are seedlings of artificially created hybrids not species, definitely nothing like "exported from their native habitat". Large plants of such hybrids freely available from orchid vendors in Canda and I am sure you can find even more in US. Mature plants prices are pretty high, so I settled for young plants, since don't mind waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i have a vanda pachkong blue, i'm just checking how it's doing for you. For some reason i can't find any information on these and it made me resent my pakchong thinking perhaps sellers don't like to well.. sell it maybe because it's not a realiable grower/bloomer or maybe it gives a lot of problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately my Pakchong Blue was accidentally left on the full sun and being very small plant - it burned so badly that I threw it away. Bangkok Blue is doing great, grows nicely roots and new leaves.
      I know that somebody on orchidboard has Pakchong Blue and she says it is a very reliable bloomer. Good luck with your vanda!

      Delete