Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cymbidium Time

It must be a "Cymbidium Time" here because all the big box stores have tons of them, gorgeously blooming, of course noIded. Colors vary tremendously from lemony-yellow to dark brown, but surprisingly enough, prices vary tremendously too, I mean from store to store.
Walmart has them at $18.99, which I think is pretty good, but exactly the same plants in the same packaging are sold at $34.99 from Sobeys (our grocery store). I wonder what causes such a difference...
In any case I cannot buy them due to the space reasons, they are too huge plants for my "indoor orchid garden".

2 comments:

  1. Probably the fact that Walmart undercuts growers. Walmart forces producers of every stripe to sell to them at or near the break even point (and sometimes below) so that companies who sell to Walmart are often times taking a loss...Walmart is shady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! I feel bad for those growers, but from average buyers point of view - Walmart wins. Don't know if the quality of their orchids is up to the standards though.

    ReplyDelete