Friday, April 27, 2012

Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi 'red'

I got this beautiful specimen of Phal. cornucervi 'red' from Crystal Star Orchids too. I must say their established plants are the best I ever got from anywhere.
It came with 4 spikes and three growing buds, one of the buds already shows red color. Plant grew out of the pot and needed repotting. When unpotted, I was impressed by fat and healthy roots filling all the space.
Taking moss out was quite easy and I didn't have to trim anything. I tried to not disturb plant and didn't even uncurled the roots so they are still in shape of old pot. I put some packing peanuts in the hollow space under the base:



I decided to keep it in plastic pot with moss since that's how it was potted before. I arranged the long aerial roots on the top of the media all around the plant:



Picture of the bud with dark red color showing through:

5 comments:

  1. Wow, those roots are amazing. They did a great job growing that plant; hopefully it likes you just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some of the most beautiful phal roots I've ever seen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like it could be cornu-cervi fma chattaladae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I thought so too when I looked up pictures of the chattaladae on the web, but my label just states 'red' and I definitely didn't pay the chattaladae price (they are quite expensive).

    ReplyDelete