Sunday, April 22, 2012

Phalaenopsis I-Hsin George

Phal. I-Hsin George came from Crystal Star Orchids.



Large specimen with 4 spikes and several blooms - it has overgrown the plastic pot and needed repotting.
Here is what the inside of the pot looked like:



It took some while before all the old moss was cleaned out and some rotted roots were trimmed. Then plant had a nice warm bath in the kitchen sink:



I debated with myself on the choice of the pot and medium for some time, but then, since it seems that plant liked to be in the plastic pot with moss, I decided to keep it that way too. I stuck couple packing peanuts under the base in the middle for just in case. All repotted:

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I have never repotted when they were blooming. I use bark here in Florida because my phals are outside and get too wet in the moss. Your leaves are a nice vibrant shiney green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. I usually repot any new plant that I purchase even if it is in bloom. I want to check on the roots inside, change media to fresh. My reasoning is : better to loose blooms now than the whole plant after. However most of the phals are fine with repotting if you careful with roots. You are so lucky to grow orchids outside!

    ReplyDelete