
The window spans from the seiling on the main floor down to the basement by the staircase. Sun appears from the left at sunrise and moves through the area whole morning until about 1 pm. So the left part of the area gets strong noon light and the right part - just a morning sun.
Here is the windowsill, that's where I used to burn my catts and vandas until figured out to adjust them to the strong sun gradually. It is a bit crowded, but I plan to put some small plants on the top shelf in the orchidarium where the light might be too strong for phals.

Vandas along the railing, there is plenty of space to get some more (evil smile):

Some of my phalaenopsis plants are enjoying the morning sun:

And here is Emma napping right on everybody's way, so we have to carefully step over her. She likes the sun too and luckily ignores my plants:
Parabéns pela paciência de fazer primeiro a medição do sol e depois distribui-las.
ReplyDeleteElas estão lindas e muito sadias, parabéns pelo cultivo.
abraços
Thank you Bete!
DeleteHi, Could you let me know where you ordered your orchidarium from? In light of my most recent cat attack, I'm considering buying a small tabletop one to protect any orchids that are in spike. Do you have recommendations for where to buy one?
ReplyDeleteSorry about the tolumnia spike, I was really looking forward to see the picture of it in full bloom.
DeleteI cannot really recommend any vendor since I haven't received my order yet, should be another month to wait.
I have ordered my orchidarium from here:
http://www.orchidarium.com - the Grand Cayman model. They don't seem to have the tabletop ones though.
Many people use the exo terra terrariums for orchids - http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_small.php
They come in different sizes, so it might be an option, if you want just a small one.
I also came across this small greenhouse on ikea website:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70186603/
That's about all I could suggest.
Hope you will find the way to protect your orchids from silly cat.
Thanks. I am seriously considering one of the ExoTerra models--they make a 36" tall one (need to fit those tall spikes) that would be just barely within budget for me. So it's good to know that those are of good repute.
DeleteI look forward to learning from how you set up your terrarium growing area once that arrives. (Although the orchids you have next to the staircase bannister look quite elegant too)
Thank you! The vandas will stay there, they are not very picky about humidity when potted. I am getting orchidarium for phals in hopes to keep higher humidity around them.
DeleteI have seen nice orchids setups with exo terra terrariums on different forums:
http://www.phalaenopsis.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9767
There is some high tech stuff (lighting and vents) that scares me a bit, but you seem to be good with wires setting up your current lighting.
Looking forward to pics of your terrarium when you get it!