
I know it is normal aging process when phalaenopsis sheds the old leaf, but this plant has only three of them. So, why would you shed a leaf if you don't have that many in the first place.
I decided to check the roots:

There were some rotted pieces, but not too much - I peeled them leaving the inner string, all the rest roots are firm and have some growing tips. I mean they are not the greatest, but I saw much worse. I looked at removing the yellowing leaf, but that could result in some damage to existing roots at the base, so I wiped the area at the base with some listerine mixed with water(just in case) and potted plant back using cleaned pot and fresh sphagnum:

At this point I am not sure what else should I do except let it shed the leaf and see what happens next.
Did you ever have this happened? What was the outcome? Any suggestions?
It looks otherwise healthy, and has enough roots to support the two leaves at least. As long as it's growing new leaves and it isn't rot or pest related, (doesn't look like either,) it should be fine. I've had similar happen when I was down to two leaves on one of my miniature Phals, it never turned out to be an issue, but it was recovering from some seemingly random root loss at the time. Could it be that this species needs/uses more roots to support it's size than most? Just a thought as I've got Phals with tons of leaves and very small root systems and Phals with maybe only 4 leaves that have huge root systems.
ReplyDeleteThank you Melody. I hope it will hang in there with two leaves until the new one comes out. The leaf is all yellow now and soon will be gone. I am not sure about bellina specifics with regards to roots/leaves ratio.
ReplyDelete