This year however after just a month of heating it started to drop even below 40%.
Desperate, I bought small 3 Gal. Sunbeam warm mist vaporiser to keep air moist around the orchids. But with an open concept house that didn't help much. I needed something more powerful.
After some research about humidifiers and convincing the family that we really need to create more moisture environment in the house, last weekend I bought the 9 Gal console humidifier from Honeywell. It claims to work with the house up to 2300 sq.ft. which should be enough for me.

It quickly raised humidity from 38% to 50% on the first floor and I decided to keep it there, because setting it higher might grow mold in the house. Since my phals will go into orchidarium, I hope 50% should be enough for vandas, catts and paphs.
The unit is bulky, looks pretty ugly, turns on and off automatically to keep my 50% RH and is quite noisy (especially during the night) despite the words Quiet Care written on it.
Well, maybe the other ones are even louder, we will get used to it.
Nice! You and your orchids both should feel better with some more humidity
ReplyDeleteIt does feel better, hope 50% will be enough for orchids.
ReplyDeleteHola, cuanto te costo? Regards From Peru!
ReplyDelete