Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mounting George

Over the summer Phal. I-Hsin George has been growing long new leaves that were sort of soft and floppy. Then I noticed that they were so floppy that started to nod down.
I tried to stake it for support but ended up breaking off the whole long and soft leaf.
Luckily the newer leaf already started, so the crown was still alive, but that newer leaf was growing looking down too.
George became a problem to handle because I was constantly worried that I can break off the whole crown.
Finally I decided that if he wants to look down with his new leaves - then I should probably mount him upside down so the newest leaf will just hang there without any risk to be broken.
For a while I couldn't find a suitable and large enough piece of wood, but yesterday at PetSmart I finally came across something that could be it:



Long story short - here is the result:



It is now hanging on the railing against the window and gets a lot of light. I put some sphagnum on the mount over the roots in hopes that it will keep some humidity there.



Here is the look from below. It shows the newest leaf and traces of the broken one(there is brown cinnamon powder collected on the cut). I am guessing that spikes will probably die off because of the change-of-environment shock:



I am not sure if it was a good idea to mount I-Hsin George, just hope it won't kill him.

4 comments:

  1. I have seen some very successful Phal mounts. Considering the crown rot problem with the traditional method in pots, this is probably better for the plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope it will cope with my low-ish humidity.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a big strong phal, that can handle a bit of experimental culture ;-) How do you avoid getting water dripping all over the stairs when mounting orchids there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't avoid it. :) I take it to the kitchen to water and let it drip there, then hang back. It still drips on the hardwood, so I just wipe it after.

      Delete