Friday, December 21, 2012

Tacca seeds

Taccas are impressive tropical plants that have weirdly shaped large blooms with wiskers.
There are couple different species of Tacca. I used to have Tacca chantrieri - Black Bat plant, but it didn't grow well because of the low humidity.
After that I successfully germinated seeds of Tacca integrifolia - White Bat plant, but seedlings didn't survive, again because of low humidity.
Now with humidifier in the house and orchidarium to come(maybe someday, it is still delayed) - I decided to try Tacca seeds again. This time I bought seeds of Tacca nivea which I think is just a variety of integrifolia, so it is supposed to be white too.



Last time it took three weeks for seeds to sprout and they were in the plastic container seating on the top of computer case - it gets pretty warm there.
Now it should be better since I have heat mats.

I used the sphagnum moss as a medium, creating a layer in each of the two plastic containers:



5 seeds got into each container:



I covered them with long strings of moss, so it will be easy to check them out without disturbing:



Both containers are now inside the humidity tray on the heat mat together with my phalaenopsis seedlings.
Wonder if they will sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment