Thursday, January 31, 2013

Phal. Brother Gelblienosa II

With all my phals moved into terrarium, I am seeing lots of root growth.
All the stalled or blackened roots are now activating growing points. Stems get little bumps all over the plants.

Now, this is pretty weird place to grow a root(notice one on the small left spike):



It is Phal. Brother Gelblienosa II who is confused so much that it started the root on its spike. This spike is not new, it had a flower last summer. I never saw the roots appearing on the spikes before...

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps that spike is another keiki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I just discovered that a new spike start on Phal. fasciata is actually unwrapping to a basal keiki too. Now this adds two more plants to a keiki growing mommies. I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

      Delete
    2. Well they're named orchids. You could probably trade those keikis away with ease, once they're potted on their own, and grown.

      Since you said it was probably the low light that triggered all these keikis, you likely won't have this 'problem' next year. Esp if you scale the light back up slowly as your phals adjust. ;-)

      Delete