Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Phal. Mituo Sun King

Cross of Mituo Sun 'Mituo #1' and LD's Bear Queen.
Crystal Star had several plants of this hybrid with blooms. I was selecting the best flower (in my opinion of course), they had different colors since they are seedling population not clones.
Here is what I ended up with:



The flower is very thick and seems heavy. It has faint fragrance, smells like opened package of the baloons.



Now for the sad part. Plants were wrapped into plastic, I was concentrated on selecting a flower and didn't even look at the foliage. At home, unwrapping the plant I discovered black rot in the middle where new leaf should come out. Of course I sent the picture of it to the vendor and she replied right away that I should bring it back for refund or exchange. The problem is - I really like the bloom, there weren't any other with such shape and color.

Black stuff seems to be dry, but I don't know how far into the middle it goes. Otherwise it is very strong plant with nice roots and there is a nubbing of the second spike coming out. I can bring it back to Ottawa show and get another plant, but in reality I would like to save this one.
I spilled some hydrogen peroxide into the middle and keep the plant out of tank for now to make sure there is no humidity around the black stuff.

Any suggestions/opinions for me?

5 comments:

  1. Planta linda.
    Cor fantástica.
    abraços

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigado. Comprei-o principalmente para a cor :)

      Delete
  2. I think one way is to wait and pray for good. I mean, it could grow a basal keiki or one to the inflorecence. And yet, it could also decay. I've seen it go both ways.
    Second, you could try to use a keikipaste on nodes.
    Villu from BL forum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Villu. That's what I am going to do - wait and see. Black is dry and doesn't spread, maybe it is just one leaf damage and the new one will grow just fine.
      I never used keiki paste, don't even know where to get it here...

      Delete
    2. By the way, my first search on keiki paste led me to Canadian provider. And I was ready to order it from Canada!!! He-he!
      See http://www.orchidmall.com/hormones/keikiprd.htm
      Then I found it from England instead. I'm trying it for the first time, it has been a week now and the nodes are slightly swelling!
      Kind regards, Villu

      Delete