They looked sort of freaky so I isolated the plant (removed it from the tank) and cut the both leaves:

Here is the closer view of actual patches:

Both leaves were at the same level and are not the oldest, here is the place where they were (clear gel is just a hand sanitizer which I use to dry up the wounds);

The question is: should I throw away the whole plant?
I wouldn't throw away the orchid! Except for those leaves, it looks perfectly healthy.
ReplyDeleteKeep it separated and observe. It may prove to be nothing dangerous.
1)It seems like physical damage for me. Maybe you sprayed the plant with something? or:
2)it looks like sun burns in places where drops of liquid (i.e. water) were
You can sprinkle your cuttings with cinnamon (as it has antibacterial propeprties)
Good luck with your 'kid, hope it survives!
Definitely not sunburn because it's on the undersides. Probably just a fungal problem which strap leaved vandas are very prone to. A systemic fungicide might help.
ReplyDeleteYou may want to take a look at this page on the AOS website...http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=135
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a fungus. Oncidiums and zygopetalums also gather these small black spots on their leaves. Supposedly it is harmless, but it can spread. The main problem is that it can be rather unsightly, but does no real damage to the plant. You can use Physan 20 or soak a cinnamon stick in a mix of cinnamon powder, a dab of baby shampoo and some water in a mister for gentler control.
I have also read that this spot may be caused by Botrytis, a more specific type of fungus that mainly affects flowers, but can also affect leaves as well. Low air circulation and excessive humidity may cause this.
These spots have also been on my Vandaceous plants that i have received via mail order as well, but nothing has ever progressed once the leaves have been cleaned up. No need to panic :) Best of luck!
Wow! Thanks a lot for your feedback people, that's a lot of useful information in your comments and I feel much better now, since this species would be hard to replace here in Canada.
ReplyDelete