Thursday, March 20, 2014

Maxillaria tenuifolia

Despite freezing weather I know that spring is really close because I noticed this on my maxillaria:



Quite a few bulbs show now some little buds trying to form. I like the coconut smell of the blooms and looking forward to the flowering.
Some people find smell too strong and nauseating, but not me.
This plant proved to be the easiest to grow and reliable bloomer. It seems that the less you fuss with it - the better it grows...

3 comments:

  1. What kind of light is this in? Mine won't bloom so have moved it to a sunnier spot. Do you fertilize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, mine is in very bright but diffused light - it is on south-east window but window has 'frosted glass' film glued to it to keep the plants from burning. Maxillaria would take direct sunlight, no problem, but I also have phrag there, so I put that film on. I fertilize with all purpose balanced fertilizer 20-20-20 at quarter strength.
    One thing that might be important - during winter time I cut on watering, as in - let the moss go bone dry to the point when some p-bulbs almost start to wrinkle. I do it because when I bought it at the show - the selling lady told me "Noooo water in the winter" stressing the No. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I have blown that! It did get winter watering. Thanks for the tips. Maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete