Something strange started to grow from the bottom leaf axis on Phal. kunstleri. The location is not usual for the root, but it doesn't look like spike to me either.
I got it in the fall as a medium seedling, so it could not be spike already. Any ideas?
Image probably has to be clicked to enlarge and see what I am talking about.
Looks like a root to me.
ReplyDeleteNot sure what this is. Wait a couple of weeks, see if it starts getting vellum on it or not - vellum = root, no vellum = spike. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks. Seems like everybody on the orchid board thinks it is a root. Well, a new healthy root is good too, I will not complain :).
ReplyDeleteI would agree with the "wait and see" approach. I did have a Phal. produce an offset in about the same spot however. You can see it here in the blog post I did here:
ReplyDeletehttp://bridgecitytatting.blogspot.com/2011/08/final-black-magic-bookmark-and-random.html
You may need to copy and paste the link if it gets split up.
Interesting that your plant grew keiki there, usually they appear on the spike.
ReplyDeleteI think that rounded and smooth appearance of my growth suggests that it is a root after all.