Friday, March 16, 2012

Getting rid of vases

I grew most of my vandas in the glass vases for about a year. It requires watering at least once a day, for the best results - twice.
While it was fine at the beginning when I only had couple, quickly it became a chore - when number of vandas grew up to thirteen.
I tried several of them in the clay pot with chc and it seems to be working.
So I made a transfer.
If roots system is good - I just curled roots into a clay pot and added a handful of chc. When there is not much of roots, I tied plant to plastic vanda basket, added chc there and put basket into pot.




Now I have only Vanda tessellata in a glass vase because her roots are too awkward to fit into pot.

2 comments:

  1. I also grow my three Vanda`s in vases. I`ve just had my Vandas for about 6 months and grew them outside during summer and now in front ofa south facing window. After reading your post I`ve put my Vanda`s into clay pots with CHC. I plan on going on vacation for 16 days later this fall and think the Vanda`s will fare better in the pots than in the vases. The roots did very well in the vases. I hope they adapt well to living in clay pots and CHC. I think the Vandas will have a better chance of surviving my 16 days of vacation if their roots are nestled in CHC in clay pots rather than hanging freely in my glass vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my vanda seedlings in clay with chc, they require much less attention than in vases. Before going to your trip, take them off the south window , so they don't get too much sun and soak very good, so chc is completely filled with water. I was on a two-weeks trip last July, so I took my vandas to the basement and they did good.

      Delete