Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Paphiopedilum after bloom.

I was wondering what happens with paph after bloom. Does spent fan die away or stays there to support new growth?
Here is Paphiopedilum armeniacum II about 4 months after blooming.



The old growth is still fresh and new runners started producing the leaves. I doubt any of the new growths will be ready to bloom next year, so it will be a long wait for the next flower.
Unfortunately my other plant didn't survive. Blasted bud rotted whole plant down to the base.

2 comments:

  1. The old growths stay on my Paphs for years. I think I've lost one or two leaves on them, but the growth itself must be of support to the plant as it keeps it around. Beautiful Paph though, sorry the other didn't make it! I love the mottled leaf ones, at least they're still pretty to look at even out of bloom for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody. I like mottled paphs for that exact reason - they look nice even when not in bloom - which is most of the time for me. They grow so slow.

      Delete