Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Psychopsis versteegiana update

My small psycho seedling grew a nice and cute pseudobulb with clean perfect leaf:



Old leaves got some black patches that don't spread but do look quite ugly, so this new clean leaf is a good sign. I do make sure to keep it away from the sun because leaves get scorched by it a lot.

New bulb also got some nice roots:



I wonder how far from blooming this guy stands.

PS. Picture of the ugly black patches on the older leaves to follow up the conversation in the comments area. What is it?


6 comments:

  1. My psychopsis mariposa has those black splotches all over its leaves (the number of them did increase unnfortunately). I'm not sure what to do with them, since there are no clean leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was sun damage, all the plants I have on my south-east window have possibility to get burned, especially now when sun gets lower and more of it gets into window. When I noticed those black spots, I moved it under cover of larger orchids and it seems they don't spread anymore. Since you grow under lights, then it is not sun. I am puzzled now too.
      We'll see if my newest leaf will get it too - then it wouldn't be the sun, but something nastier(hope not).

      Delete
    2. They're sunken in elongated black spots, right?
      I just went to look back through my pictures, and realized that mine didn't have any spots until right around september. Then at some point I got a bunch of them without noticing (I guess in the scope of that orchid's problems, leaf damage was very far down the list of concerns).



      Delete
    3. I have added the picture of my spots to the original post. Do yours look the same?

      Delete
    4. Not sure, mine are all on the middle of the leaf, none at the edge. And the edges of the black spots are smoother. So we might be dealing with different issues here.

      Delete
  2. I too have spots and sunken streaks like this on both my Psychopsis. Have you found out what it is and how to spot it on new leafs?

    ReplyDelete