I have added a new feature to my "project" - the chart with ancestry which shows the species breakdown. It was exciting to work on it because I got to use Microsoft .NET chart control which I like but don't get to use very often.
Now this chart sort of makes the plants pages without pictures to look more alive.
I spent quite a time to create a custom palette for the chart because all default ones were too colorful and I wanted it to blend in with overall design of the site.
At the beginning I had all the species to come up but when there were too many with small value - the labels became too squishy and overlapping, so I had to add "Other" slice to collect all of the species with smallish values.
Now I am thinking that I should probably add some table that will have full list of the species and their values, even the smallest ones.
So, still work-in-progress, but already kind of useable:
http://phalaenopsis.orchideya.ca/Plants/B/Brother-Passion-id%3d3c4080b8-1fc8-47e0-9bd8-e9e840370f6b
or
http://phalaenopsis.orchideya.ca/Plants/B/Brother-Sara-Gold-id%3dbc56913e-9153-4b4e-bf4a-ce7671be8c29
or
http://phalaenopsis.orchideya.ca/Plants/S/Sogo-Gold-id%3df019b899-dc39-4346-af26-005eac33645d
or
http://phalaenopsis.orchideya.ca/Plants/T/Tristar-Snow-Princess-id%3db5866a70-cc03-4229-ba62-fee646df2463
Or any other hybrid for that matter.
Looks ok? Any suggestions?
hello
ReplyDeleteI like you a fan of Phalaenopsis and I came across your blog because I was looking on the internet a photograph of Phalaenopsis Zada. In the "cheese" which compiles the ancestors of this pink hybrid I see no trace of P. schilleriana or P. sanderiana but only two species with white flowers (P. rimestadiana be considered P. amabilis). Can you correct this anomaly?.
Hey Ludwig! Thank you for reporting a bug, I am on it and will correct it ASAP. I had no idea these pages coming out in search already...
DeleteWow, I absolutely love this! I see some tremendous potential in this, and if you don't mind, would it be okay if I talked about this on BLOF, and potentially ask people if they'd be willing to let you use their pictures? I want to see this become a giant Phalaenopsis research tool.
ReplyDeleteTank you! I don't mind you talking about it, but please mention that it is not completed and tested yet and might uncover quite embarassing bugs.(and I will be greatful if they will be reported to me):).
DeleteI also plan to add the area on each plant's page where users can add their notes, facts or observations about the plant.
Also if you have any ideas on improvement or additional features - let me know.