Tuesday, October 15, 2013

About deliciosa spike

Adorable deliciosa plant in need of repotting was growing a spike.
Then I noticed that spike grows right down into moss - dirty green moss that had to be replaced long time ago:



So, I decided to repot and try to change direction of the spike. Unpotted, the roots look fine - all fim, some growing points:



It appeared that no matter how I turn the plant in the pot - the spike never looks up. I tried this and that and finally settled for the following:



I placed small piece of packing peanut under the spike and put the plant into tank making sure that light shines in the opposite direction:



At this point I think I did everything I could to help plant realize that spike shouldn't grow into moss. Hope it gets a hint. Also hope that repotting will not abort the spike...

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem to with my butterfly orchid last time, there is a way to fix this problem. After the spike grow about 10 cm u and it is still flexible u can use a iron wire to reshape the way the spike grow. Remember don't give the orchid too much sunlight or else the spike will harden faster for u to reshape it. Hope this will help u !!!XDXD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice. I usually afraid to touch the spikes, but sometimes there is no other choice, I guess.

      Delete
  2. My deliciosa does the same thing, but it's on a mount so it doesn't matter. I think the flowers naturally want to go down.
    The same thing has happened with my Phal gigantea and i've very carefully stuck a plant label in under the spike, which gently forces it to grow up. That's a trick i heard from someone who grew pendulous Cymbidiums and it helps the spike to grow over the edge of the pot and still fall naturally. The effect isn't the same for the Phals though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahh, so its not just mine. You are so lucky to have gigantea that is already spiking. I killed two seedlings already. It'll be a while before I try another one, but I like them so much...

      Delete