Wednesday, October 9, 2013

New seedlings losses

It is a sad day: I threw away quite a few small seedlings of paph. stonei that I just deflasked last Friday.
Of course it was all my fault. I didn't realize how thin and fragile the plants are when I was taking them out of the flask.
Some of the plantlets got bent through the stem. I didn't even know how many of them were damaged like that until I saw this:



Notice the brown "belt" around the plant, I think it started to rot through. After checking each pot I found more. As it always happens, affected ones were the largest and those with most roots. They all went to garbage.
Oh well, it was my first paphiopedilum flask and apparently they are not as easy and sturdy as phalaenopsis.
There are still about 15 plants left, I rearranged them into two large pots and one small.
Now I am not so confident that all of them will survive.

Sanderianum seedlings were shorter and fatter, they didn't get much damage except some broken leaves. No losses there yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment