Sunday, October 27, 2013

Paphiopedilum seedlings: three weeks after deflasking

Seedlings are sill alive but I have noticed that moss stays wet too long. I think because there is not that many roots, moss doesn't have chance to dry out as fast as it did with my phalaenopsis deflasklings.
I decided to do something about it which of course involved pulling seedlings out of the medium.
Instead of having moss all the way to the bottom of the pots I filled pots for about half way with large bark pieces. Then put layer of moss above it.
I also made community pots a bit more crowded, so there are now four compots of sandie and only two of stonei.

Paph. sanderianum:



Paph. stonei:



Sanderianum seedlings look happier at the top but stonei grew a bit more of new roots while sandies use old flask roots still. Maybe different species have different priorities while growing, I don't know.
I threw away two more seedlings of stonei because of rotting damage on the leaves. And then there were 14....
Sanderianums count is still over 30, I didn't throw any yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment